Its popularity as a material for furniture—both outdoor and indoor—is unmistakable. Able to be bent and curved, rattan takes on many wonderful curving forms. Its light, golden color brightens a room or outdoor environment and instantly conveys a feeling of a tropical paradise.
As a material, rattan is lightweight and almost impervious and is easy to move and handle. It can withstand extreme conditions of humidity and temperature and has a natural resistance to insects. There are a number of benefits and advantages to choosing rattan furniture:
- It is lightweight. For example, moving a wicker chair is nothing like moving a chair made out of solid oak.
- It is highly flexible and customizable. There is no limit to the variations you can find with Rattan furniture. Rattan furniture can be available in any number of colors, for example. It can be used to hold glass (for a coffee table), cushions (for a couch or chair), lamps, etc.
- Safety. A positive side effect of Rattan furniture being lightweight is that it’s safer around small children. The regular bumps and bruises associated with children running around the house can be reduced when your furniture is lightweight.
- Resilience. Wicker furniture is highly durable with proper care. Many people don’t associate lightweight furniture with durability but with rattan furniture that untrue
- It is very easy to clean. If your furniture has a natural finish on it, it may only require regular dusting. Cushions are easy to remove from the furniture and thanks to its weight; you can also easily move the furniture around the room as you clean.
- Aesthetics. There’s no denying that wicker furniture is aesthetically-pleasing. It has a very organic, natural look that can be customized into a wide range of creative designs. Wicker furniture looks as natural outside as it does indoors, which is uncommon for any type of furniture.